homelifewithbjbuiltonrockintothekingdomcontact

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

'i'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

.if you don't know that reference...you really gotta figure it out.

um. public libraries.  how do we i not take advantage of this amazing gift!?  i knew that they existed but i certainly had not utilized these buildings lined with bound papers filled with words just for my seeking eyes to find.  oh, and fo free. f-r-e-e.  well i may be paying taxes for it, but all the more reason to get in there.

today i reserved my first book online at our lexington public library.  i am not the most computer saavy.  or obviously, library savvy so this successful "hold" completion made. my. day.  and they get the book i requested to my branch within a day or so of requesting it if it's available.  could it be any more convenient?

the only trouble i've had thus far on my journey is that the l.p.l. apparently is not a lover of classic christian literature.  sad.

thus far i have requested a "hold" for:

the hotel on the corner of bitter & sweet
by jamie ford
for our newly formed book club

-and-

the chronicles of narnia
by c.s. lewis
for my own enjoyment
 {i'd really like to buy the fancy, beautiful edition at barnes & noble but that will wait}

and i also found out that i have a $0.10 fine. he he he.  the one book i may have checked out 4 years ago must have been a little overdue by the time i got it back to ol' willy t. {our university library...which is gorgeous by the way}.

if you think i'm rambling like an idiot, here are some pretty home libraries to distract you...

{japenese library below}
{you're standing at the top of a staircase looking down.  what a great use of storage, right?}
{don't miss that card catalog! gimmmmme!}
{apartment therapy & house beautiful}

5 comments:

  1. ohmygoodness! I love that one staircase library. Just darling! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the library! I go to the Library here in jaspe bi-weekly! I dont know if your library has a decorating section, but ours does there are hundreds of design books full of beautiful pictures. I love love love that section of the library! Im so glad other people love it also!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for book clubs! And the Chronicles of Narnia are so wonderful...I almost like them better as an adult than when I was little. Have you read Lewis' autobio Surprised by Joy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, Just a suggestion: If you request a book and there is a long wait list, look and see if they have one in Large print/there is usually a much shorter wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,
    I LOVE the library! I use ours a lot. And they have DVD's too, so you should go there to rent some for free. Usually they have some new ones and a lot of old ones. I used to go to that Beaumont library a lot.

    ReplyDelete

i am thrilled to see your comments. please give me some more to be thrilled about...