Sunday, June 6, 2010

a stitch in time

sewing day was a COMPLETE success.  we had such a blast!  please read about it {here}, great pics included.




some things i learned:
what the length & width stitches mean on my machine
what needles to use for different projects
that i have a thread cutter
how to read a pattern
confidence to cut material
what interfacing is
how to make a ruffle {self taught but first time i wasn't too scared to try}
how to make a pleat {ultra excited about this.  i love pleats}
how to shank a button
what tension is on my machine
why you would use different stitches at different times
that girl craft days are SUPER fun

things yet to master:
sewing curved lines {giant fail}
and...everything else

next projects:
drapes {simple drapes...like giant rectangles}
skirts / dresses

it is such a blessing to have good girl friends, shared interests & wise people willing to teach us!  sewing our totes gave us a really cute & useful result but i think all the little steps along the way really served to teach us skills that we could use in tons of different projects.  so valuable.  double score & blasty blast.

anybody ready for round 3?

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an absolute BLAST Jen! What a blessing to have a fun day to get together with friends and learn a new skill! Hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend - talk with you later, ~Kristin from Windy Poplars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be able to sew SO BAD! When I get those machines up & running (or buy a new one) you have to come up & fill me with your knowledge!

    I'm so glad that you all had a good time. I can't wait to hear about Ben's weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun, Jen! I have a sewing machine collecting dust right now. It sounds like I could learn a thing or two from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, Grandma always made curtains/drapes. Even the darling lined drapes in your nursery. a good resource not to miss out on. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - you learned a lot! Sounds like such a fun weekend. I'm jealous that you have friends who like to sew. None of my friends are really very crafty, booo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure exactly why but this website is loading incredibly slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I'll check back later on and
    see if the problem still exists.

    Also visit my web-site - torontowinetasting.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble
    with hackers? My last blog (wordpress) was
    hacked and I ended up losing many months of hard work due
    to no data backup. Do you have any methods to protect against hackers?



    Here is my web site - Modcloth Coupon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.

    You have done a extraordinary job!

    Here is my site :: related resource site

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good replies in return of this issue with real arguments and
    describing the whole thing on the topic of that.



    Also visit my web site; Related Website

    ReplyDelete

i am thrilled to see your comments. please give me some more to be thrilled about...